Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Working With Difficult Agents

If you've been in the business for any length of time, you've probably heard (and told) your share of stories about how difficult so-and-so is to work with.

I'd be lying if I didn't say that some of my cross-sales have been a little tougher then others. But as I've grown in the business, I've come to realize that if I want any sale to close I just might have to do more work then I bargained for.

Although the law holds you to a fairly high standard of practice from your very first day in real estate, as a practitioner you know that there's a large learning curve with regards to the nuances of the business.

This being said, there's a fairly good chance that you will have a cross-sale with an agent that doesn't have your business experience, your people skills or your life skills when it comes to handling difficult situations.

The sooner you become aware of your opposite number's shortcomings, the better chance you have of making the sale appear seamless.

Even though the other agent may have several years in the business, it doesn't necessarily mean that they got to this point by being a good negotiator. It doesn't even mean that they're (what you consider) a good agent - it just means that they're part of your sale and you have to deal with them.

Some of my best long-term relationships have been with other agents from other companies that had a whole different point of view on how our cross-sale was supposed to go. And rather then give them a piece of my mind, or degrade them in some fashion, I found it much more rewarding and a lot less stressful when I was able to find a way for everyone to work through the problem.

Sometimes it meant sleepless nights trying to connect the dots, but once they're connected you're that much closer to a closing.

I've never seen a written job description of what the listing agent, or the selling agent's job is in a transaction. I've heard a lot of conversations about it though!

I've never promised my client or customer that I'll do a good job for them "As long as the other agent does their job."

The reality is that it's all on you! No ifs, no ands and no buts!

The sooner you learn to bring out the strengths of the other agent in your sale, and eliminate the negative spin in your deals, the more successful you will be.

No comments: